Saturday, November 21, 2009

Here's What Scares Me About the Health Care Bill Being Considered in 2009

In a word, cost. I do not want the government to interfere with my cancer treatments. Given the high cost of my medications and my low copays I don't want anything to change. I am afraid that my cancer medication (Sutent) will become unaffordable, or as in the UK, deemed unaffordable by the government.



You also have to consider the "unintended consequences" of the bill. In just one isolated example, Tricare, underwritten by Humana, has been said by the administration to be safe from any changes. BUT, what if, because of a mass exodus out of Humana, Tricare has to undergo a massive change. Raising premiums, denying coverage, limiting diagnostics, etc..?? The president has said that Tricare would not change, but he cannot promise something he has no control over. True?

Why would Humana fall apart? If tens of thousands of Humana's other customers opt for the "government option" Humana would not be able to continue as normal. The same holds true for all other insurers. If there is a mass exodus out of traditional health insurance to a government plan, they would not survive. The only thing left would be the government run and government administered program. That would not be pretty.

No comments: